For those of us that tend to drive for hours on end, the simple act of sitting in a car seat can be somewhat punishing on the body. While these seats are designed for a decent level of ergonomics, the truth is that they just weren’t designed for long distance driving. For this reason, an excellent lumbar support cushion can make a massive difference in your driving comfort, and these car accessories don’t take a lot to add to your driving setup.
In this guide, we’re going to show you nine of the market’s best lumbar support cushions so that you can have a more comfortable ride. We’re even going to provide you with a quick buyer’s guide that will leave you with all you need to determine whether a particular cushion is suitable for your needs.
Lumbar Support Cushion Buyer’s Guide
What’s the Point?
Car seats can be comfortable, but the lumbar region of the back is seldom supported when you’re on the road. This area is actually the prime cause of back pain, which is the result of the back sitting with a flexed spinal curvature for long periods. It’s important to understand that the back isn’t designed to deal with the extra pressure that’s exerted on the spinal discs during prolonged sitting, and a support structure like a pillow can help relieve this pressure.
There are many lumbar support products on the market for office chairs and even couches, but since so many people spend a lot of time commuting and traveling in a car, it stands to reason that a lumbar support cushion can be useful for drivers as well.
The Benefits of Lumbar Support While Driving
Simply put, there are a lot of advantages to having this type of support while driving, so let’s take a look at the most notable:
- Improved Posture: When you’re slouching in your car, it’s much easier for you to start to feel sleepy, which can be dangerous. On the other hand, with an excellent lumbar support pillow keeping you in an ideal posture, you’ll feel more alert. Also, with optimized posture, you’ll be less likely to develop back issues down the road.
- Ease of Use: These cushions are effortless to place on most car seats, and many will lock fairly firmly in place. There are even models on the market that are breathable so that you don’t feel uncomfortable during everyday use.
- Reduced Muscle Tiredness: Some of us work jobs that can be fairly rough on the back, and one of these cushions can actually help these tensed muscles relax, which can be great for the back.
Design Features to Consider
Before you select a product, see if the product has a few of the more useful features:
- Multi-Use: Some car lumbar support cushions can also be used in the office, at home, or even on a plane. This multi-use design can be advantageous if you want to have around-the-clock lumbar support. These also tend to be very portable, so you can usually stick them in a bag.
- Mesh Construction: Since this will be sitting against your back, on warmer days, products without mesh can feel a bit hot. When you purchase a product with mesh construction, air can circulate freely, which can make for a more comfortable ride.
- Strap Security: Not every cushion attaches neatly to your car seat. For this reason, if you don’t want the pillow to move around, purchase one that straps securely to your chair.
Best Car Lumbar Support Cushion
Our first product stands out because it incorporates a dual-strap system that will allow it to stay in the correct position whilst you drive. Additionally, this lumbar cushion is fairly versatile; it can easily be used in the office, on a plane, or just around the house. For your everyday comfort, LoveHome crafted this pillow out of memory foam, so over time, it will conform to the shape of your back for an increased level of comfort.
The outer layer of the cushion is very durable, and when it comes time to wash the cushion, this layer can be completely removed and washed. The fabric is also antibacterial, and any sweat that forms will be evaporated without leaving an unpleasant odor.
- Uses 3D mesh so that the material remains breathable.
- Provides a very firm level of support.
- It comes in eight unique colors that will accessorize with your car seat.
- The straps can rip over time.
The second product in this guide of the best lumbar support cushions for vehicles is also a versatile product that’s designed for multiple uses. It is available in nine different colors, which will provide you with various options if you’re looking to accessorize. For some products, the zipper can be placed in an unfortunate position, and as a result, you might be uncomfortable. Fortunately, this cushion is designed with a zipper that’s flush with the material, thus ensuring your comfort.
Internally, the cushion is supported by memory foam, so it’ll conform to your back. Additionally, the outer layer is entirely breathable, so it’ll feel fresh, even on warmer days. The cushion is supported by a single, stretchable strap that’s designed to keep it in place, and for those that prefer a bit of curvature, this product has a very comfortable upsweep.
- It’s very breathable.
- It comes in nine different color options.
- The inner cushioning is made of memory foam.
- It’s very sturdy and firm.
- As it only has a single strap, it can sometimes move while you’re using it.
Our next product is very different from the previous two. In fact, it has a design that doesn’t use any cushioning at all. Instead of cushioning, this product, which is considered a car air flow breathable back support cushion, is primarily made of a mesh material that cushions the back and lumbar region. It straps securely around car seats and noticeably with contours in the areas that would best support your back. Due to the mesh construction, air is allowed to pass unhindered through the product, so this is an excellent go-to lumbar support cushion for the summer.
The cushion has a one-size-fits-most design, so it should work for most vehicles, and like the other products in our guide, you should be able to use it on seating that’s not designed for the car as well. The strap has a buckle, so it’s relatively adjustable, and the product comes in a two-pack, so both the driver and the front seat passenger can experience lumbar support.
- This comes in a two-pack.
- It feels very comfortable on warm days.
- Despite no actual cushioning, the mesh net is very supportive.
- The strap buckles into place.
- The edges can be a bit uncomfortable.
This cushion, which is manufactured by Feagar, is designed to provide a more extensive back support experience. Unlike some of the previous products, this cushion not only supports the lower lumbar region but also supports the upper back as well. This is also a very soft-feeling product as Feagar use a mesh material that has a velvety feel to it. It’ will feel soft yet be breathable enough for comfort on hot days.
This secures to your car seat via two straps that can be buckled securely, and you can even cross these straps for a more secure fitting. This unique strap system will also allow you to raise the positioning of the lumbar support so that you can focus the cushion’s firmness on other parts of the back.
- This is a very adjustable cushion.
- It has a dual-strap configuration.
- The fabric is very soft.
- It supports the whole back.
- The buckles can be a bit flimsy.
- The material can be somewhat soft for some.
Our fifth product is similar to our third because it has an all-mesh design that doesn’t incorporate traditional cushioning. Despite this, both of these products are very comfortable and provide the lumbar support your back needs, especially when you’re driving for extended periods. The frame of this product is designed to be soft on the back, so if it gets out of place, it won’t dig into your flesh.
Also, since this is a mesh product, there’ll be no issue with breathability. Air can circulate, so it will remain comfortable on warmer days. In addition to this, the arch of the product can be adjusted via the straps, which can help you iron out any kinks that may have developed in your muscles over the day.
- The mesh is very comfortable.
- The arch of the product is adjustable.
- It comes in a two-pack.
- It’s not quite as soft as some cushions.
Unlike some of the other products being reviewed here, this cushion system is designed specifically for car seats. It has a top strap that is designed to buckle around the headrest and a lower belt that’s made to be placed around the base of your seat. As a result, it’s nearly impossible for this cushion to move. In addition to this, the pillow itself has an extended lumbar section that puts sufficient pressure and support on the lower back, so even after hours of driving, you’ll still be very comfortable.
The outer layer is comprised of cotton, beneath which you will find a memory foam cushion that will conform uniquely to your back. This cushion that has an upper section as well, so you’ll be comfortable across the entirety of your back.
- It has a two-strap system.
- This is designed specifically for cars.
- The memory foam is completely odorless.
- The buckle is strong.
- The outer layer isn’t washable.
Despite being a single-strap product, this ComfiLife cushion is designed not to move while you’re driving. This is another cushion that’s designed to be used for multiple purposes, but its unique design does make it fit in well with the standard car décor. The strap on this product is also very secure and robust, and it should last for years, even if you are continually unbuckling and buckling it.
Its outermost surface utilizes a 3D ventilative mesh that’s very breathable, so even if you sweat during your journey, the airflow will eliminate any excess moisture and provide a cooling sensation. Like other lumbar support pillows, this product contours out somewhat at the base, thus providing you with a high degree of comfort.
- The mesh material will help you stay cool.
- The strap is very secure.
- It has a very durable upper layer.
- The pillow’s consistency may change based on the temperature.
- It doesn’t provide upper back support.
Portability can be a very useful feature in a lumbar support cushion, which is why this McKenzie lumbar roll is so good. It’s designed to be very compact so that you can quickly stuff it in a bag, so you can use it in a car, on a plane, or on an office chair without worrying about a lengthy adjustment process. Effectively, this product is roll-shaped, so it is shaped at the right angle for optimal lumbar stability. In fact, if you prefer, you can even attach this cushion around your own waistline.
This product is designed to eliminate moisture, and it won’t wrinkle with every day use. The cushion is crafted from memory foam, and when it’s time to clean, you can simply remove the outer layer and throw it in the wash.
- The cover makes this a very cool-feeling product.
- It’s very versatile.
- It has high-quality and durable construction.
- It provides no support for other areas of the back.
The final product in our reviews is from SOFTaCARE. It is designed with a two-part design, which can really help you sit comfortably in your car. At the base, you’ll find a rubberized cushion that you can sit on. This cushion is designed specifically not to slip during use and feels cool throughout the day. The lumbar-supporting component of this product straps neatly around the back of your car seat and also uses the same high-quality memory foam so that you can sit comfortably without worrying about wrinkling.
The upper cushion uses two straps, so it’s guaranteed to stay in place, and if you need to adjust it, it’s a straightforward process. Additionally, the presence of a cutaway tailbone section will allow you to relieve any spinal pressure that tends to originate in this area.
- This is a two-part lumbar support system.
- The cushions are very soft.
- It also supports the tailbone.
- It won’t slip.
- The chair pad has been known to leave stains.
- It can be a bit too broad for some car seats.
We hope that this guide for the best car lumbar support cushions has provided you with some insight into the best pillows for your driving and riding comfort.
Taking care of your back is crucial, and each of these products will help you cradle and support the most vital area of your back so that you won’t suffer ill effects later in life.